Caitlyn's Rifle [LoL]: Part II
2015-05-06



The next step is to create some detail layers. EVA foam was used here again. Foam is not my favorite material to work with, I generally prefer more rigid surfaces, but it has definately earned it's place in my shop.




Once I had everything cut out and shaped, I used a rotary tool with a sanding bit to route out and bevel the details. I find that shaping the foam first before cutting grooves and details works better at allowing them to stay accurate without getting warped and pulled too much.




A few more pieces of PVC were cut to further progress the barrel fabrication. I had a nice tight fit with these, so no filling required!




For the sights I used a thin cut of PVC pipe and 1/2 inch MDF. The pieces were both both screwed and glued together and then filled with an automotive body filler. After the body filler was cured, it was sanded until smooth. A mounting hole was also bored into the base of the completed sight to align with the corresponding bold on the barrel.





A bit of a jump in progress. This was the almost-completed barrel assembly. All that was left was to some minor filling and sanding. The foam details at the base of the barrel were created using the same method of cut, shape and bevel.




I used some sintra to build up the details on the stock. This has been my new favorite material that is very rigid and is easy to cut, shape and sand. I highly suggest giving it a try!




The 'hammer' portion of the rifle needed to be completed next. There isn't any detail to this section, but it needed to be a smooth curve. I used a xacto knife to remove the desired portion of foam and a rotary tool to sand and clean up any areas.




Sintra was used here again to create a nice cap for the area. Precision was everything here. Once I had it cut, shaped, and glued into place, I gave it a very light sanding until it was flush.





A few more gaps in the build process, but with things almost wrapped up, it was time to give it some primer and then a test fitting!




It's starting to look like a thing now! Next step is some fine tuning and then paint!
Return to part I
Continue to part III